Monday, October 8, 2012

Yoga, Sprinting and Kettlebells

Yesterday, Sunday 20121007, was a recovery day. I did a brief, sixteen minute Prasara Yoga routine. I also went for a forty-one minute, 3.20KM walk. Total steps for the day 8443.

After a 14 minute warm up with an Intu-Flow routine combined with FitSugar's active warm up for running, today's workout had two main components: sprinting and kettlebell swings. Before getting started started with the sprints I walked between 500M and 600M. The temperature is about 50°F so I felt the extra warm up was needed.

6 intervals 50M sprinting at 50% speed with 50M walking
6 intervals of 50M sprinting at 80-90% speed with 100M walking

I ran on the football field at Mauldin Middle School while my #1 son, Isaiah, was at his Tae Kwon Do class. By the time I finished running and walking back to my car it was time for me to drive around the corner and pick him up. The combined warmup walk, intervals and walk back to the car was 26 minutes and I covered 1.90KM. After picking up Isaiah, I then stopped to fill up the car's gas tank and drove on home.

When I got home I proceed to do kettlebell swings. First a quick warm up.

5 touch and go reps with 20 pounds at Point A
5 touch and go reps with 20 pounds at Point B
5 reps with 20 pounds full swings
Then on to the work sets.

3 sets of 25 reps with 20 pounds full swings 

Some explanation would probably be helpful. Point A is on the ground a few inches in front of and midway between the toes with feet at shoulder width. Point B is roughly inline with and midway between the heels again with feet at shoulder width. I've seen video of Crossfitters raising the kettlebell straight above their heads on swings but I stop around shoulder height as suggested by Tim Ferriss. Swings only took eight minutes for warm up and work sets. I cooled down with my normal Prasara Yoga routine. With holds of 40 seconds in each pose the yoga took about nineteen minutes. Tomorrow is an Intu-Flow recovery routine day and Wednesday will be Week Four Day One of Couch-to-5K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.