Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Subtle Breakage in Saucy Salamander

All of a sudden, after what have become daily dist-upgrades on my part as the release of Ubuntu Saucy Salamander approaches, my VPN connection stopped working. I try to connect to VPN and get an error "no valid secrets". Also, I couldn't edit the VPN connection. Some googling lead me to "gray button for saving “editing VPN connection” in Ubuntu 12.04"  It didn't exactly match my situation, I'm running 13.10 already, but it was close enough for me to figure out what to try. I made the following change:

[chbaker@reacher:polkit-1/actions]$ diff -u ORIGorg.freedesktop.NetworkManager.policyORIG org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.policy
--- ORIGorg.freedesktop.NetworkManager.policyORIG 2013-10-07 05:57:03.000000000 -0400
+++ org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.policy 2013-10-15 16:50:56.724445415 -0400
@@ -86,7 +86,7 @@
     <message xml:lang="uk">Правила системи забороняють вмикання або вимикання з’єднань з мережею на системному рівні</message>
     <message xml:lang="zh_CN">系统策略阻止启用或禁用系统网络</message>
     <defaults>
-      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
+      <allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
       <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
     </defaults>
   </action>
@@ -940,4 +940,4 @@
     </defaults>
   </action>
 
-</policyconfig>
\ No newline at end of file
+</policyconfig>
[chbaker@reacher:polkit-1/actions]$
After logging out and back in my VPN connection works again. I think there are other mis-configurations in Saucy Salamander (13.10), too. For example the date and time are no longer being displayed in my taskbar. Also, when I go to the time date settings all the clock options are grayed out and I can't edit them. This is really quite disappointing since 13.10 is slated for release in just two days. I can live w/o the date and time in my task bar, but no way I can work remotely without VPN.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.