Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Overhead Pressing Means No Leg Work Right

Overhead pressing means no leg work right? WRONG. I went back to Swamp Rabbit Crossfit for my second Crossfit elements class. Yesterday when Coach Brandon said that we would be working on overhead pressing today I naively imagined my legs would be minimally involved in today's workout. No such luck.

We started out doing some shoulder warmup and opening exercises with lengths of PVC pipe which we would soon use to simulate barbells. After a few minutes of warming up we were instructed in proper hand and arm position to do overhead pressing motions. Coach also emphasized the need to keep the core tight and even to squeeze and activate the glutes. We then worked through a progression of movements using only the PVC pipes.

So of course my thighs were complaining. But after the unweighted thrusters I was nicely warm and loose. Then we got real barbells. We had choices of 15lb, 15kg or 20kg bars. Today instead of the younger of the two women I worked out with today we had a youngish man and the older of the two women from yesterday, the one who looked like a runner. The guy chose the 20kg bar, I started to take one but reduced my ego and took a 15kg bar.

We then worked on thrusters with the bar. After a few minutes of that we received instruction on how to use the rowing machines and then rowed 250 meters. Our WOD ( Work Out of the Day ) was three rounds of rowing and thrusters structured as follows.

  • Row 250M
  • 12 Thrusters
  • Row 250M
  • 9 Thrusters
  • Row 250M
  • 6 Thrusters
That was it. I was again the last to finish. My time was about 7 minutes and 49 seconds. We finished up with some lower body stretching. Again with the Spaghetti Legs. I'm going to be crazy sore tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.