Sunday, August 23, 2015

Urban League of the Upstate Sorta 5K

My daughter, Gabrielle Baker, was on the organizing committee for the Urban League of the Upstate's first annual Heart and Sole 5K. Our nuclear family all signed up to show our support. In addition my brother-in-law from Aiken and his wife as well as his daughter from Rock Hill came to Greenville to participate. A couple of my wife's friends and one of Gabby's friends joined us for the race as well


I haven't been running so I decided to just walk the 5K. They also had a 1 mile walking route planned, but walking the 5K would be no problem. Unfortunately, the biker leading the the initial group of runners and the volunteers out in the middle of the course went and sent us the wrong way! They accidentally cut off somewhere between 0.6 and 0.7 miles. It was still a fun time. 

Even though I was walking I did exercise my competitive spirit. I started out in the middle of the pack of walkers. I would pick out someone walking ahead of me and set a goal of catching them and passing them without running. I did this time and time again over the course. No walkers behind me passed me. And speaking of competition my oldest son, Isaiah at the back left of the picture, finished third overall! 

It was a nice, partly cloudy and surprisingly cool morning for the race on the beautiful campus of Furman University. We all had a good time and then went for a nice big breakfast at Stax Omega.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.