Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Inspired Kettlebell Training

I was tempted to skip training today. I had already missed training on Monday. We traveled to Winston-Salem, NC on Sunday to visit Wake Forest University with my son. I slept terribly Sunday night and didn't get up early enough Monday to train and was too tired by the time we got home Monday night. Yesterday evening I went to my son's lacrosse game so training was again out.

Today as I was surfing Facebook I saw a video of Daniel Casey. I said to myself if that guy can work out, so can I. Unfortunately I can't find a direct link to the video. If you're on Facebook to the Crossfit Games page and you'll find it. I'm not doing Crossfit right now, just my same old mixture of Tracy Reifkind's kettlebell swing workouts and Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple and Sinister. I swing using Tracy's pattern and follow it up with Turkish Get Ups as per Pavel. So without further ado...

Warm Up

Walk 12:15, 0.55 miles for an average of 2.7 mph.

Circuit 3 circuits 5 reps each
The Practice
I pushed hard on my last group of 5 sets of swings. I got 8 more total reps in the same amount of time. Total reps 180 versus 172 last training session. I finished up with the turkish get ups as normal but I continued with the 35# bell like my last session. It is really hard to keep the arm holding the kettlebell stable especially in the phase of returning to the ground from the sorta' half side plank position. Hard, hard, hard. But that's what will make my shoulders stronger and more stable in the long run. Total time 30 minutes.

You might not believe it but my calves were almost cramping up when I came up the steps into the house once I was done. I do my training either barefoot or in my Vibram Five Fingers, like tonight. When keeping myself stable in the swings I really grip the ground with my feet. These two simple moves really work almost every muscle in the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.