Sunday, April 26, 2015

A Whole Lot of Physical Activity

Occasionally my job requires work late at night. Last night was one of those nights. I worked from 2200 until after 0200. I did get a 90 minute nap in that ended at about 2157! I almost overslept. I didn't get back to sleep until after 0300. Then I started getting paged around 0800. So much for sleeping in.

I was determined to get my training in though. I didn't get started until 1356 but I did get started. I didn't even feel as tired and lackluster as I did a few workouts ago.

Warm Up

Walk 16:00, 0.66 miles for an average of 2.5 mph.

Circuit 3 circuits 5 reps each
The Practice
In the warm up circuits I had been doing the squats w/ no weight and using the pole of our basketball goal as a "guide." Today I decided to do them holding a light kettlebell and with no guide. Felt good and I was able to maintain my balance in the bottom. I need to work on staying down there and opening my hips and ankles for a few seconds each rep.

Yesterday I skimmed over Simple and Sinister again. I found that I was doing the halo wrong. I should have been holding the kettlebell with the ball part up and the handle down which is the opposite of what one normally does. So, fixed that and worked my shoulder girdle a bit more effectively. Total time for the circuits 13 minutes.

On to the real training. Started out with 5 sets of 10 as normal. Tracy Reifkind's Workout #2 calls for the second group of 5 sets to ladder up 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. The last couple of times I tried to progress to workout 2 I don't think I really owned it. I decided to ease into it. Last time after the first group of 5 sets of 10 reps I did 10 sets of 11 reps. Today in the second group of 5 sets I did 11, 12, 12, 12, 12. In the third group of 5 sets I stayed at 12 reps for all 5 sets. 

My plan for the next workout is for the second group of 5 to be 11, 12, 13, 13, 13. The third group of 5 sets will be 13 reps for each set. See what I'm doing there? It will take me at least 3 more workouts after today to get to Workout #2 as designed.

The Turkish Get Ups felt good. They're feeling better every session. I think my right shoulder and core are getting stronger. Also, my hips are opening up making the move more fluid. I finished my kettlebell workout in 27 minutes, better than the 30 minutes of my last session and with more reps of swings. Total time 56 minutes.

Ordinarily that would be it. But I had planned to cut my backyard yesterday, however it rained. So I had to get to it done. Two hours later I was done. That was nearly 3 hours of physical activity, all of it outside. I've already got 12,335 steps for the day. I also weighed in at 258.8 which is down 2.8 pounds since I weighed in on 20150422.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.