Thursday, July 24, 2014

Finally a WOD I Felt Good About

I was stiff and sore this morning. Every time I got up from my desk at work I had to loosen up. After lunch I went outside and stretched my hips by lying back on the wall in front of the building and allowing first one leg then the other to hang free. I could really tell the difference when I got up and walked around the parking lot. I got to Distinct Crossfit in time to do my normal Intu-Flow warm-up routine and a little extra shoulder mobility but not much.

Start up
1 min hamstring stretch per
1 min Calf stretch/smash per
Otm 6
5/10/15 suicide

W.O.D
Amrap 9
7 Med ball clean 20/14 (RX2 16/12)
7 Push press 105/65 (RX2 95/55)

Strength
Box squat(set box height to parallel)
5x2 climb

Finisher
2 rds
10 side plank punch through
10 scap push ups
10 cuff iso

So I was the slowest one on the suicides. I was also the oldest one in the class. I still averaged 20 seconds on each round. Not to shabby. Coach Derrick predicted I would be in the 20-25 second range, so yay me for doing it at the bottom end of his prediction!

The med ball cleans were hard. It wasn't so much the weight, especially since Derrick had me doing the 12# on the cleans and only 55# on the presses. It was the squatting for reps as my thighs were already sore. Even more was the cardiovascular fitness required. The push presses were just easy. I should have used more weight on both. I'll know better next time. I finished 6 rounds plus 7 reps of med ball cleans.

After a brief rest we were on to the 5x2 box squats, pyramiding up in weight. This was my zone when I was a younger man. I loved squats and deadlifts.
I wanted legs like Tom Platz when I was a teen ager. I didn't make it but damn I trained legs hard.

I think today was the first time I have squatted with weights since I tore my right glute and started having back problems way back in 1997 or 1998. I pretty much gave up lifting weights for years after that. I thought I would never be able to lift heavy again and just didn't want to do light stuff.

I wasn't super heavy today: 2 reps at 115, 2 reps at 165, 2 reps at 185, 2 reps at 235, 2 reps at 255! Just under my super fat body weight of 265. It just felt GOOD!

I only did one round of the Finisher. I didn't realize I was supposed to do two rounds. Plus it was late. I went to the 1815 class today instead of the 1715 class. I also had to leave to drive out to Furman to pick up my son Isaiah from lacrosse camp. That also meant I didn't do my usual Prasara Yoga cool down either. Oh well. I'll do more stretching and mobility work tomorrow to make up for it.
P.S. I got over 10K steps, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.