Thursday, July 31, 2014

Deadlifts Equal Scraped Shins

Got to the box in time to change and do my Intu-Flow before the official start up. My daughter came along with me to try Crossfit and to ask questions of the trainers and gym owner about getting into the fitness business.

Start up
Otm 5
10 burpees

Strength
12 min to establish 1rm Front Squat
12 min to establish 1rm Deadlift

Metcon(10 min)
2RFT
20 toe to bar
20 thrusters 95/65

Finisher
Stretch

So, to me 50 burpees is a workout but that was just the warm up for today. I got the first 3 sets of 10 with 15-20 seconds left in the minute before starting the next set. Then my abs started cramping up. I got only 5 reps on the 4th set and only three on the 5th set. I spent the remaining time in that 5th set stretching out my abs.

I never did a whole lot of front squats. When I did it wasn't in the front rack position, you know the clean position of a clean and jerk. My position was poor. I need more mobility in my shoulders and wrists. That and not the weight was really the limiting factor. I only got 205 pounds.

Deadlifts...this is the movement that I was doing 15 or 16 years ago when I tore my right glute. That injury set off a whole series of back problems over the years. I was frankly kind of scared. On top of that the stupid weight belt I bought kept popping off during my front squats so I didn't even use it on the deadlifts. I worked up to 275 pounds. At least I used such good form that I scraped my shins with the bar. Got to remember to either chalk my shins or use some other protection on deadlift days.

I felt like I probably could have gotten at least 315 but I ran out of time and like I said, I was kinda scared. My back was kind of tingly but I remembered a story on NPR: Pain In The Back? Exercise May Help You Learn Not To Feel It. I think I saw a similar story on CBS or NBC but I can't find it right now. I will get better.

The metcon 2 rounds with a 20 minute time cap of 20 toes to bar and 20 thrusters. I can't do T2B yet, so I did hanging knee ups. I did the thrusters with the prescribed 95 pounds. I didn't do any of them unbroken. I did the abs in sets of 5 to 20. I did the first set of thrusters in 5s. The second one I did 4 sets of three then Coach Derrick came over and urged me to finish up unbroken, I got the final 8 reps straight. It was a real cardiovascular challenge. Thrusters are HARD! Despite the cool weather I was soaking wet and breathing hard.

I didn't really stretch afterwards. I just sat around and put away my weights. Good workout for the fourth day in a row. Now three days off for travel. Oh and hooray for no running!


No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.