Monday, January 19, 2015

Strong Lady Weights

Another day! Another kettlebell practice session. Another day of walking. Warm and sunny outside, 63°F in the middle of January! I picked up some heavier kettlebells yesterday a 35 pounder and a 25 pounder. I put the 35# to use today on swings and stepped up my getup with the 20# bell. According to Simple and Sinister I'm using weights that a strong woman should use (16kg for swings and 12kg for getups)! HAHAHA! I'll get stronger.

Warm Up Circuit 3 circuits 5 reps each
  • Prying Squat
  • Lying Hip Extension
  • Halo
Flying dog 1x15 per side.

The Practice
  • Kettlebell Swings 5x10x35# Two Handed
  • Turkish Get Ups 5x1x20# (Actually 1 rep per side then a short break before next set.)
6 Minute Abs 
  • Myotatic Crunch 1x10
  • CVE 1x10
Walking 1.62 miles in 34:34 minutes.

All in all a good workout. I was able to get nice and deep on the prying squats and work my hips open with my elbows and move a bit side to side. A very humbling exercise it is but it shows just how much I need to work on mobility.

Pavel Tsatsouline teaches that it is better to refer to a workout as training and/or practice. Especially since we general have such bad associations mentally with work. So, my practice today was very good. I got a little sloppy at the beginning of my second set of swings with the 35#. I had to remind myself to brace my abs, squeeze my glutes and "hip hinge". It takes a lot of core stability to do swings, more than one might think.

I was pretty solid on my get ups. It was a little challenging using the heavier weight but I was able to keep my shoulder stable. Getups are a whole body exercise and by the third set I was a little nauseous. Probably the cumulative effect of the heavier swings, too. I wonder how many days I can practice before I need a break? We are evolved to run, hunt, gather and walk for miles daily. I'll keep it up as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.