Saturday, January 24, 2015

Repeating That Training Routine Is Boring Isn't It

Well, I didn't walk yesterday. It was cold and raining. Plus I was so busy with work I didn't even walk around inside the office building for 20 or 30 minutes as I thought I might. Oh well. At least I did my kettlebell training.

One other thing I forgot to mention in yesterday's post is how thoroughly worked and exhausted my entire posterior chain was. As I was standing in the shower after my session I felt the muscles from the soles of my feet, to my calves and all the way up my legs through my glutes and on up my back to the base of my neck nearly quivering with that feeling you get after working hard. What a great feeling.

So, on to the topic that the title of this post stated. Isn't doing the same training routine over and over again boring? Not really. Even in the short time I've been doing this routine I've seen improvements. I find positioning errors to correct. Plus I have a goal in mind, 50 kettlebell swings in 5 minutes and 10 total get ups in 10 minutes. Another thing to consider, is effectiveness or novelty more important? I'll take effectiveness.

Warm Up Circuit 3 circuits 5 reps each
  • Prying Squat
  • Lying Hip Extension
  • Halo (each direction)
  • Flying Dog (5 reps per side)
The Practice
  • Kettlebell Swings 5x10x35# Two Handed
  • Turkish Get Ups 5x1x25# (Actually 1 rep per side then a short break before next set.)
The warm up circuit really makes me feel energized and ready to go. Inevitable when I start the circuit I feel stiff and cold even though I've usually been awake and moving around for an hour or two before I start working out. But after this warm up, I really do feel warm, loose and flexible.

I felt very strong with my swings today. I tried to make sure I was actually pulling the kettlebell down, accelerating it to the bottom position while letting my arms float to the top powering the rise with my hips. I upped the weight for the getups from 20# to 25#. I let my left arm get a little loose on the 2nd set while holding the kettlebell, not good. Got to stay FOCUSED! It's easy to get injured even with such a light weight.

After the kettlebell training I went for a walk. My initial thought was to walk for just 30 minutes as it was cool and cloudy. But as I walked the clouds blew off and the sun beamed through. I ended up walking 2.4 miles in 53:23. I was kinda' slow, only 2.69 mph, but it was an enjoyable walk.

The last couple of days, I've thought I would take an entire day off from training but I just feel so good when I'm done. This must be about the perfect dose of exercise to get the endorphins flowing but not so much as to overtax my ability to recover. I must admit though that my thighs, from front to back, are perpetually sore as is my shoulder girdle to some  extent. Today was my 8th day in a row training. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.