Saturday, January 17, 2015

Simple and Sinister

I felt such resistance to exercising today. I put on some sweats and a tshirt but I just couldn't get to it. I did laundry. I made up our bed. I started cleaning the bathroom. Finally a little more than an hour ago I went out into the back yard and got down to it. Except for walking this is my first session since last Saturday.

I was searching for something about kettlebell training and came across Simple and Sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline. Actually I think I heard about it on Episode 3 of Tim Ferriss' podcast when he interviewed Kelly Starrett and Dr. Justin Mager. And what do you know, Ferriss interviewed Pavel Tsatsouline this week in Episode 55.

Anyway, I bought the book and decided to put it into practice. I had combined kettlebell swings and Turkish get ups into a workout before. They are a great combination. Simple and Sinister includes some key mobility exercises including the "prying goblet squat." That one kinda intimidates me, I know I need to increase my mobility and staying in a deep squat is a challenge. Anyway, here's the workout.

Warm Up Circuit
  • Prying Squat
  • Lying Hip Extension
  • Halo
The Practice
  • Kettlebell Swings 5x10x20#
  • Turkish Get Ups 5x1x10# (Actually 1 rep per side then a short break before next set.)
6 Minute Abs
  • Myotatic Crunch 1x10
  • CVE 1x10
Walked 1.61 miles in 33:00 minutes. 

All in all a good training session. I did the squats holding on to the fence gate so I could get my but to my heels and stay down there. I tried to move into it, side to side a bit, to work open my hips. Man it's tough! As I get more comfortable down there I'll start holding a kettlebell as recommended.

I bumped up my weight for the swings since I'm doing lower reps. I think I can use heavier kettlebells for both swings and get ups, but I don't have any heavier ones yet. The get ups were pretty easy but I could feel my abs tightening up by the time I finished. That just made the 6 minute ab routine more fun! I was going to skip walking but I'm on a roll of daily 30 minute walks so I got it in. I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.