Thursday, December 29, 2016

Are You Going to Workout Today

Are you going to work out today? That's the question my wife asked me this morning. I was wavering a little bit, but she has noticed that I've been working out almost daily since 12/11/2016. Yesterday I wondered if I needed a day off. I had gotten 7.5 hours of sleep so that wasn't a reason not to train. I ate plenty yesterday so that wasn't a reason not to train either. So, after that question and as the sun blazed down bright, I decided to at least do my performance preparation and make a decision from there.

Performance Preparation

Original Strength Reset
  • Cross Crawl - 20 per side
  • Crocodile Breathing - 2 minutes
  • Head Nods - 20 reps
  • Rolling - 5 reps left and right leading w/ arms then legs
  • Rocking - 20 reps
  • Crawling - 3 minutes
Wide Leg Founder 1
1 set of 5 reps Kettlebell Halo w/ 25 lbs.
Arm Bar per side, 1 minute each w/ 15 lbs.

Simple and Sinister
Did my normal prep. Felt nicely warmed up, loose and ready to go. The arm bars are starting to feel really light. I think I'll bump it up to 20 lbs. next week. Performance prep took 18:50.

Moved on to my kettlebell practice. Swings felt good. Lower back a little less tired during the final few sets. Get ups went well. Shoulders felt good. Doing better with "windshield wiping" my legs. Looking forward to moving back up to the 35 pounder for get ups. And instead of going up on weight for swings I think I'll start doing one hand swings with this same weight. Total time 20:54.

 I weighed myself on Tuesday. I had scheduled myself to weigh in on Sundays. I missed this past Sunday because it was Christmas day and I got distracted. Weighed in on Tuesday, late in the evening after eating all day and the big eating of the holiday. My weight was up 4.4 lbs from the previous week's weigh in. That was quite disappointing. But I knew some potential reasons, a big one being water retention.

My rule is to weigh in just once a week, but I that gain nagged me. The next day I was down about 2 pounds, today another 2 pounds. This really points to water retention and the time of day. I usually weigh in early in the morning and while still fasted. My goal is to be down 3 pounds from my initial weight on 12/11/2016. We'll see if I make that on Sunday.

Oh, and yesterday I got in 8537 steps which just surpassed my current daily target of 8.5K. I also listened to a very good podcast while training today. It was an interview of the guys from Mind Pump on the Total Human Optimization podcast by Onnit. After a crazy dive into "Are we living in the Matrix" they talked about things like feeling comfortable in your skin, training for health and longevity, manipulation of consumers by advertisers in the fitness industry, etc. Good stuff all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.