Sunday, January 1, 2017

First Kettlebell Practice of 2017

Got nearly eight hours of sleep last night. Stayed in bed and read for about an hour after I woke up. It is a cool, cloudy, misty day. Apparently it rained either pretty hard or at least steadily for a long time last night as there are some big puddles in our driveway. Once again I procrastinated and didn't start my training session until 1126.

Performance Preparation

Original Strength Reset
  • Cross Crawl - 20 per side
  • Crocodile Breathing - 2 minutes
  • Head Nods - 20 reps
  • Rolling - 4 reps left and right first leading w/ legs then arms
  • Rocking - 20 reps
  • Crawling - 3 minutes
Wide Leg Founder 1
1 Set of 5 reps Kettlebell Halo w/ 25 lbs.
Arm Bar per side, 1 minute each w/ 20 lbs.

Simple and Sinister
  • Two Hand Kettlebell Swings 4 x 10 x 35 lbs
  • One Hand Kettlebell Swings 4 x 10 x 35 lbs L, R, L, R
  • Two Hand Kettlebell Swings 2 x 10 x 35 lbs
  • Turkish Get Ups 2 x 1 x 25 lbs per side
  • Turkish Get Ups 2 x 1 x 35 lbs per side
  • Turkish Get Ups 1 x 1 x 25 lbs per side
Performance prep as normal, it took 18:42. It's not much fun crawling in the cold, wet grass but I did it. At least the carport was dry! I guess the wind wasn't blowing much if at all while it was raining because if it does blow a lot, the carport is slick and wet. Not suitable for training.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I went up to a 20 lb kettlebell for the arm bars yesterday. It was an easy adjustment holding it with my left hand. Keeping the bell vertical with my right hand was a bit more challenging. I could feel my arm wobbling after 25 to 30 seconds and had to fight to keep it vertical.

Given that I've been doing two hand swings for three weeks with the same weight I decided to work in a few sets of one had swings today. One hand swings are the preferred modality for Simple and Sinister. I did four sets one handed. See above for the break down.

Yesterday I completed my get ups in much less than the allotted 10 minutes. I figured that was a sign that I need to increase the weight so I did that for two sets. Again, see the above for a break down. It was a little challenging. Harder to keep my arms vertical but if it was easy, I would be ready for an even heavier weight wouldn't I? Total kettlebell time 21:47. As you can see from my smiling face I felt good once the session was complete. I got in 9631 steps yesterday. Read the following quote and really think about it.
It may seem strange to recommend training without days off when the goal is storing energy, but moderate daily training will keep the muscles’ fuel tanks topped off, while making tissues resistant to microtrauma and almost soreness-proof. It is the ticket to being always ready. - Pavel Tsatsouline in Kettlebell Simple and Sinister

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Progress Yesterday

I didn't do anything toward my website building goal yesterday, Friday 04 March 2022. I'll pick it up again today.